Tuesday, February 21, 2012

black bean brownie


I needed a chocolate brownie fix fast the other day= so I desperatly searched the internet to find something that would subdue my sweet tooth. I've been wanting to try a black bean brownie for a while so I decided that now was the time.

Black Bean Brownies adapted from here

Pull from the cupboard...
  • 1 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 2 large eggs 
  •  1/3 cup butter, melted 
  • 1/4 cup cocoa 
  • 2 tsp. vanilla 
  • 1/4 tsp. salt 
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional... and Don't include if you aren't eating sugar!)
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) 
What to do...
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the black beans, sugar, eggs, melted butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth, pulsing and scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure all the beans are completely pureed. 
  2. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. 
  3. Pour into an 8″x8″ pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. 
  4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly puffed and set. 
  5. Cool before cutting into squares.
Things to think about:
  1. In the end it was a great texture- kinda melt in your mouth but it tastes a little like black beans. I think I'd add more coco and maybe put a cream cheese icing or almond butter on top?
  2. I don't know why but a lot of healthy recipes i'm finding have a lot of salt... I think I would cut down the ammount even on this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment